Director of Operations
Company: Xanterra Parks & Resorts
Location: Death Valley
Posted on: May 23, 2023
Director of Operations - The Oasis at Death Valley - Xanterra Travel Collections
With over 3.4 million acres to explore, Death Valley is situated in the northern Mojave Desert in California and is the largest National Park outside of Alaska. Incredibly diverse ecosystems, sand dunes, mountains, and touting America's lowest elevations - Death Valley is an incredible place to call home. We are a welcoming community of employees who work hard, share a real passion for the environment, and enjoy creating memorable experiences for our guests.
The Oasis at Death Valley operates two hotels, restaurants, gift shops, and the world's lowest elevation golf course. Our historic AAA Four Diamond Inn and Ranch offer guests a variety of accommodations. Both hotels have swimming pools that are open annually and are fed from naturally warm local springs.
We are currently seeking a Director of Operations to join our Executive team. This crucial role will be responsible for the
leadership and direction of all Oasis at Death Valley revenue departments to include; Rooms, Food & Beverage, Retail and Golf at both The Inn and The Ranch. Provide direct supervision to the Directors of these departments to include training, guest service standards, efficiency, organization, budgeting, capital plan preparation, employee performance, and profitability.
* Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
* Direct all revenue departments within the Oasis at Death Valley according to established policies and procedures, guest service standards, financial plans, and company directives.
* Provide hands on leadership for the Directors of Rooms, Food & Beverage, Retail, and Golf. Establish goals and expectations, follow-up to ensure goals and standards are met.
* Set and maintain departmental standards for productivity, organization, cleanliness, ordering, cost control, training, safety, equipment uses, and guest service.
* Work with General Manager and Department Directors in the development and administration of all departmental policy and standard operating procedures.
* Work with General Manager in the selection, assigning, training and development of these Director's.
* Ensure that Kronos is monitored daily for the entire department ensuring staff breaks are taken in accordance with California state laws.
* Review Standards and Training for all revenue departments, ensure that all mandated training is taking place as required.
* Works with Food and Beverage department to develop menus, cost of sales, organization, and cleanliness.
* Conduct routine inspections of all assigned areas of responsibility including guestrooms, front desk operations, laundry, camper/RV services, and public areas, swimming pool, recreation areas and all public restrooms.
* Participate in county health inspections of food and beverage outlets.
* Participate in monthly food and beverage inventories.
* Monitor and administer all established guest satisfaction data tools and reports to include Unifocus and Xanterra Quality.
* Handle employee related issues in conjunction with the HR Department working within Xanterra's Open Door Policy.
* Complete annual reviews for leadership in revenue department, as well as establish goals and objectives for each manager.
* Maintain, coordination, and communication with other departments affected by revenue departments.
* Communicate staffing needs, including management staff, with Human Resources and the Recruiter
* Whenever necessary handle guest concerns, complaints with tact, courteousness, and professionalism. When necessary, approve guest refunds.
* Project a commitment to Oasis at Death Valley environmental policies.
* Act as property Director on Duty as assigned.
* Act as a departmental Director in the absence of a director.
* Respond and participate during emergencies.
* Administer corrective actions and improvement plans to staff members that are not in compliance with Oasis at Death Valley policies, procedures, and standards.
* Assume overall responsibility for all Oasis at Death Valley operations in absence of the property General Manager.
* Review monthly P/L statements and ensure budget goals are met.
* Ensure monthly P/L variance comments are performed and implement operational adjusts as needed.
* Work with and direct non-revenue departments as needed as it relates to revenue department objectives.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree in Hospitality/Hotel Management, Business Administration, Finance or similar field(s) of study preferred
* Three years management experience in a high volume multi-faceted resort/hotel operation in a manager or director role.
* Five to Eight years' experience overall in the hotel environment.
* Possess financial skills necessary to plan, budget and control the annual financial plan.
* Prior experience as a Director of Front Office, or Operations Director, Operations Manager, Director of Food and Beverage, Assistant General Manager or similar.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to professionally interact with guests, clients, and employees.
* Previous experience with front desk operating systems, telecommunication systems, food and beverage ordering systems.
* A demonstrated ability to successfully manage in a fast-paced, highly accountable, diverse environment with focus on client and customer service is essential.
* Possess valid Driver's License and comply with the Oasis at Death Valley Company Vehicle Policy.
* Knowledge of and implementation of AAA 3 and 4 Diamond standards.
* Preferred Qualifications:
* Prior work experience in both hotel and food and beverage operations, with an emphasis on food and beverage.
* Experience with Opera, Micros, Raymark systems.
* Basic Competencies:
* High level of professionalism and communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions).
* Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications, follow detailed direction).
* Attention to Detail skills (minimize the risk of error).
* Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills).
* Multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
* Advanced computer skills.
As an Oasis at Death Valley employee, you have a responsibility to protect the environment. While on duty, you are to comply with all environmental regulations and policies, prevent pollution of the environment, reduce waste and recycle.
COMPENSATION: The salary range for this position is $85,000.00 - $90,000.00 plus incentive.
BENEFITS: For full-time employees, Xanterra offers a comprehensive benefits package including: Medical, Dental & Vision; HSA & FSA; Life & Disability; Accident, Hospital & Critical Illness; Pet Insurance; Vacation, Sick and Holiday Paid Time Off; 401(k) with Company Match; Employee Assistance Plan; Education Assistance; and Employee Discounts and Travel Deals.
EEO: Xanterra is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
The Perks and Benefits:
* Free Wifi
* Free laundry facilities
* Free access to pool, golf course, rec center, gym and sports courts
* Benefits are offered to full time year-round employees
* Onsite Training and Employee Learning and Development Programs
* Employee discounts on lodging, retail, and food and beverage products at all Xanterra Park locations
Keywords: Xanterra Parks & Resorts, North Las Vegas , Director of Operations, Executive , Death Valley, Nevada
here to apply!